Rolling coverage of the latest economic and financial news
- Latest: FTSE 100 has surged by 190 points today
- Biggest one-day jump in over three years
- UK PMIs show economy struggling in December
- PMI falls to 48.5, showing sharpest contraction in 41 months
- Introduction: US-China trade deal lifts markets
- End of political paralysis in UK
Wall Street has also opened at a record high, as trade war optimism ripples through New York.
Both the broad S&P 500 index and the tech-focused Nasdaq indices hit new peaks.
STOCKS AT THE OPEN:
– Dow up 0.35%
– Nasdaq up 0.68%
– S&P up 0.67% pic.twitter.com/wo3h7yjgfh
Boom! The FTSE 250 index has hit a new record high.
The index of medium-sized companies is up 385 points today, or 1.8%, at 21893.