Rolling coverage of the latest economic and financial news, as China gives the world economy a festive gift
- Latest: EIU expects more trade tensions in 2020
- Introduction: Beijing cuts tariffs on hundreds of products
- Pork, avocado, and semiconductors all on list
- China wants to boost imports amid slowing economy
- Trump: We’ll sign trade deal very soon
Switzerland’s stock index, the SMI, just hit a record high.
It’s up 34 points, or 0.3%, in a pre-Christmas rally.
Trade war optimism, and the weaker pound, has driven the FTSE 100 index to a five-month high.
The Footsie index just struck 7617 points for the first time sine July.
It’s possible that there will be some bounce in activity given the clarity on Brexit, but any improvement in sentiment is likely to fade as the next Brexit deadline draws closer”.