Rolling coverage of the latest economic and financial news, as US proposes steep new tariffs on French cheese, wine, handbags and porcelain
- Latest: Trump says China deal could wait until after 2020
- Trump says France shouldn’t tax US companies
- Trump: If anyone takes advantage of US firms, it’s us!
- Introduction: Trade war deepens
- French fizz, cheese, handbags all face 100% tariff
- France: We’ll hit back
ITV’s Joel Hills points out that the UK could soon have its own digital services tax — it’s in the Conservative manifesto!
Boris Johnson is planning a Digital Services Tax that is identical in name and very similar in design to the French tax that has enraged President Trump. The US is imposing penalty tariffs on French goods. Will this become an issue in trade talks if Boris Johnson becomes PM? pic.twitter.com/8GcmdB8rKX
This tweet shows the moment when Trump’s comments on China hit the wires, and rattled the Wall Street futures market: