Rolling coverage of the latest economic and financial news, as the Conservative party extends its lead over Labour to 14 points
- Latest: Fed chair Paul Volcker has died
- Introduction: Sterling hits €1.19
- Survation poll give solid Tory lead
- Pound hits $1.318 against US dollar – a seven-month high
- Politics Live: Labour sets out plan for first 100 days in office
Whoever wins Thursday’s election faces many challenges, including how to fight the climate emergency while still raising living standards.
Nobel Prize-winning economist Joseph Stiglitz reckons this conundrum can be solved, if policymakers focus on the ‘quality’ of growth in the economy:
Back in the UK, another opinion poll has shown that the Conservative’s lead over Labour has narrowed.
It shows that Boris Johnson’s lead over Jeremy Corbyn has dipped to 6 percentage points, from 7.
UK Election Poll (ICM/Reuters)
– Conservatives 42% (unch)
– Labour party 36% (+1)