Rolling coverage of the latest economic and financial news, on the final trading day before Christmas
- Latest: UK stocks close at new peak
- Europe’s Stoxx 600 hits record high
- Introduction: Gold rallies in pre-Christmas trading
- Analyst: Gold could keep rallying in 2020
- Trade war jitters haven’t gone away
A quick update: Wall Street opened higher, as the recent stock rally continued to push shares up.
But it then faltered, as traders worried about tensions with North Korea.
“We’ll find out what the surprise is and we’ll deal with it very successfully.
We’ll see what happens.”
Time for a quick recap, as City traders dash home for Christmas (or possibly to the shops for a last-minute gift).
The traditional Santa Rally has lifted stocks across Europe today, on the final session before the Christmas holidays.