Rolling coverage of the latest economic and financial news, as US president Trump claims a trade deal is very close
- Latest: Stoxx 600 index at highest since 2015
- FTSE 100 hits two-month high
- Chinese factory profits plunge 9.9%
- Worst monthly slide since 2011 (apart from Jan-Feb)
- Economists say China is struggling
The UK’s FTSE 100 index is up 10% so far this year, while the EU-wide Stoxx 600 has gained 21.5%.
And a new poll by Reuters shows that many investors expect the rally to run on in 2020, as fears of a global recession ease.
Shares in smaller UK companies are also pushing higher today.
The FSTE 250 index of medium-sized listed firms has jumped another 79 points, or 0.38%, to 20,944 — its highest level since August 2018.